Eagles Reunite Update #3
September 2, 2020
|Dear Graded Community,
We continue to closely monitor the situation surrounding the reopening of São Paulo city schools. São Paulo Mayor Bruno Covas has mandated that all schools must remain fully closed until at least October 7. As we prepare to open our campus doors, I will increase the frequency of my Eagles Reunite updates.
Last night, we learned that on September 15, Mayor Covas will announce whether São Paulo schools will reopen during the 2020 calendar year. This decision will be based on the results of three serological studies on the transmission of COVID-19 in school-age children. The studies, the first two of which each included 6,000 São Paulo students, aged 4 to 14 years, showed a viral transmission rate of between 16-18% and an asymptomatic carrier rate of 64-69%. Results from a third and final serological study will be published prior to the mayor’s announcement.
Below is a tentative schedule of intended communications over the next few weeks. They are subject to change in the event that the government further postpones the reopening of schools.
Eagles Reunite Update #3 - Today
- Information on Graded’s potential October 7 reopening, our mandatory “Teaching in a COVID Environment” faculty training, and “Eagles Flight Testing,” a two-week student reintroduction to campus.
Eagles Reunite Update #4 - Week of September 8-11
- Information on Graded’s contact tracing practices, including a Coronavirus (COVID-19) Tracking Dashboard, which will display longitudinal, transparent data on testing and positive cases within the Graded community.
Invitation to Coffee with the Superintendent to be held on September 24
- Comprehensive information for parents/guardians about Graded’s reopening, with time for questions.
Eagles Reunite Update #5 - Week of September 21-25
- Details on the “blended” learning model students will experience upon campus reopening.
- A video that demonstrates on-campus and remote learning experiences for students.
- A survey link for families to confidentially communicate COVID-19 positive test results of students, parents, and/or other household members.
|Graded remains committed to reopening our campus as soon as it is safe to do so. We will make a sound decision, in accordance with government regulations, taking into consideration the health and welfare of citizens at large.
In preparation for campus reopening, we had initially scheduled teacher training to begin on September 18. However, the continued suspension of on-campus activities requires us to move our first date for training to October 7.
Below is our revised training schedule: (We have not determined if these will be full- or half-day trainings.)
Mandatory Faculty Training: Teaching in a COVID Environment
- October 7, 8, 9 - Lower School Faculty Training
- October 12 - Public Holiday
- October 13, 14, 15 - Middle School Faculty Training
- October 16, 19, 20 - High School Faculty Training
After our faculty training, we will launch a two-week “Eagles Flight Testing” phase for students in all grades to visit campus in their convos. Our focus during this time will be social-emotional wellness, getting to know one another (in-person), and adapting to a new learning environment. After these two weeks of campus visits, we intend to begin our rotation of in-person learning. Additional information will follow.
We are tremendously proud of the work both students and faculty are doing in distance learning. At the same time, we want nothing more than to reunite our community in-person. With confidence, I can share that the learning, no matter the mode in which we are engaged, is rich and powerful. I see this first-hand during my classroom visits and conversations with students.
I greatly appreciate your ongoing trust and partnership.